A pictorial exhibit at the Glen Carbon Heritage Museum was the inspiration for this newsletter that tells the story of early Glen Carbon through artifacts and photographs on a timeline of history.
The Wood River Refinery that today produces nearly two per cent of the nation’s petroleum processing capacity was established here in 1917 on the leasing edge of an energy revolution.
The Montgomery Station was once a thriving farm community where families gathered at the country store, met for platform dances and relied on the railroad to take their crops to market.
On Easter Sunday of 1917, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church held the first service in their new church, the third building for the small congregation, founded in 1841, that held the status of “mission” for many years.
Mary Westerhold, Madison County Archival Library Research Director, explores some of Madison County’s small, forgotten cemeteries
Glen Carbon, Collinsville, Maryville and Edwardsville are known for their coal mining legacy, but nearly every community above the bluffs in Madison County at one time had a coal industry.
The Godfrey Mansion still stands near the town of Godfrey, a town named for Captain Benjamin Godfrey. The stately home is one of a number of houses pictured in the 1873 Atlas of Madison County.
The farming community of Grantfork had numerous names over the years. Although small a small town, it has one of the oldest businesses in the county: a restaurant that has been serving meals since 1895.
In 1816, a squatter named John Cook built a cabin near what is now the corner of Orient and Church Streets in Collinsville. His improvements were later purchased by three brothers named Collins.
After several unsuccessful attempts, in 1887 a group was finally organized to preserve Madison County’s History. They were the Madison County Old Settlers Union, but many called them “snow birds.”
801 N. Main Street
Edwardsville, IL 62025
Madison County Historical Society
P.O. Box 422
Edwardsville IL 62025