A Century Ago They Built a Church: St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church
The parish rolls of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Edwardsville in 1917 included 40 families and roughly 90 communicants. Nearly two-thirds of the parish were related by blood or marriage, a not uncommon occurrence for Madison County congregations. However, this was a particularly close-knit group that had much in common. As might be expected in an Anglican church, there was a larger percentage of parishioners of English descent than in the general population of Edwardsville. There was also a much higher percentage of college-educated adults, and, in an agrarian community, there were only two farm families. This issue of the MCHS News explores the families of St. Andrew’s Church, many of whom were community leaders in Edwardsville.