MCHS News Volume 6 Number 1

Museum Superintendent Jon Parkin tells about the early settlement of Illinois, where in many cases the military veterans were rewarded for their service and sacrifice with a land grant in Illinois.

MCHS News Volume 5 Number 6

A pictorial exhibit at the Glen Carbon Heritage Museum was the inspiration for this newsletter that tells the story of early Glen Carbon through artifacts and photographs on a timeline of history.

MCHS News Volume 5 Number 5

The Wood River Refinery that today produces nearly two per cent of the nation’s petroleum processing capacity was established here in 1917 on the leasing edge of an energy revolution.

MCHS News Volume 5 Number 4

The Montgomery Station was once a thriving farm community where families gathered at the country store, met for platform dances and relied on the railroad to take their crops to market.

MCHS News Volume 5 Number 3

On Easter Sunday of 1917, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church held the first service in their new church, the third building for the small congregation, founded in 1841, that held the status of “mission” for many years.

MCHS News Volume 5 Number 2

Mary Westerhold, Madison County Archival Library Research Director, explores some of Madison County’s small, forgotten cemeteries

MCHS News Volume 5 Number 1

Glen Carbon, Collinsville, Maryville and Edwardsville are known for their coal mining legacy, but nearly every community above the bluffs in Madison County at one time had a coal industry.

MCHS News Volume 4 Number 6

The Godfrey Mansion still stands near the town of Godfrey, a town named for Captain Benjamin Godfrey. The stately home is one of a number of houses pictured in the 1873 Atlas of Madison County.

MCHS News Volume 4 Number 5

The farming community of Grantfork had numerous names over the years. Although small a small town, it has one of the oldest businesses in the county: a restaurant that has been serving meals since 1895.

MCHS News Volume 4 Number 4

In 1816, a squatter named John Cook built a cabin near what is now the corner of Orient and Church Streets in Collinsville. His improvements were later purchased by three brothers named Collins.