An Early History of Collinsville
One would think that the Collins brothers who started the town of Collinsville named the village after themselves, but they initially called their town Unionville. After arriving in Illinois from their home in Connecticut, the brothers purchased the land and the improvements of John Cook. The industrious men then set about building numerous businesses including a grist mill, distillery, saw mill and blacksmith, followed by a mercantile, cooper, hotel and several residences, all while also managing a farm. In 1825, the brothers wanted to establish a post office in their town, but there was already a Unionville Post Office in Illinois. Since Augustus Collins was the first postmaster, the name of the town was changed to Collinsville.