When Grantfork was Fitz-James Crossing
The community of Grantfork, north of Highland, had three different names before finally settling on Grantfork, “Grant” after President Grant and “fork” to commemorate the location of the village at the fork of two creeks. One of the oldest businesses in the town was started by Stephen Bardill. He opened a rock quarry and lime kilm west of town. In connected with those businesses, he drilled a well in 1870 striking a large spring. In 1886 he had the water tested and found it was high in mineral content that was believed to be medicinal. He founded the Diamond Mineral Springs, a health spa and began offering baths in the spring water.