The Catholic Church in Edwardsville was established in 1842, but German Catholics wanted a church of their own with services in their native language. They began planning for a new church in the 1860s.
In 1837, William Emmert built a two-room house in the Six Mile Precinct of Madison County. The house, enlarged over time, is now the Old Six Mile Museum on Maryville Road in Granite City.
In this issue, Lincoln scholar Dr. Stephen Hansen writes about Abraham Lincoln’s numerous journeys to Madison County where he met political friends, conducted business and a participated in a famous debate.
Since 1965, thousands of students at SIUE have attended classes in the Peck Building, named for John Mason Peck, but few knew of his contributions to education in Madison County nearly two centuries ago.
Museum Superintendent Jon Parkin tells about the early settlement of Illinois, where in many cases the military veterans were rewarded for their service and sacrifice with a land grant in Illinois.
A pictorial exhibit at the Glen Carbon Heritage Museum was the inspiration for this newsletter that tells the story of early Glen Carbon through artifacts and photographs on a timeline of history.
The Wood River Refinery that today produces nearly two per cent of the nation’s petroleum processing capacity was established here in 1917 on the leasing edge of an energy revolution.
The Montgomery Station was once a thriving farm community where families gathered at the country store, met for platform dances and relied on the railroad to take their crops to market.
On Easter Sunday of 1917, St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church held the first service in their new church, the third building for the small congregation, founded in 1841, that held the status of “mission” for many years.
Mary Westerhold, Madison County Archival Library Research Director, explores some of Madison County’s small, forgotten cemeteries
801 N. Main Street
Edwardsville, IL 62025
Madison County Historical Society
P.O. Box 422
Edwardsville IL 62025