Three 19th Century Buildings in St. Jacob
The grand home of John R. Wise was built on a farm in 1873 for a St. Louis Railroad conductor and his family. It was located just out of town, along the railroad line where John worked. In 1879, Henry Laengle built a brick hotel in the heart of St. Jacob that would host visitors, including those who arrived by train. Located a half mile north of St. Jacob is the Federal style brick home built by Jacob Willi in 1875. The three homes have much in common. All are two-story brick buildings built in the 1870s when St. Jacob had a population of only 400 people. But they have more than a similar appearance in common. The stories of the owners of these properties also overlap, as could be expected in a small rural community.